Sunday, June 5, 2016

Louis J. Hurbanek, Jr. and Florence Bruner - some recollections from Kathy Bennett


Recollections of Kathy Bennett (6/1/2016):

My dad (Louis J. Hurbanek, Jr.)  married Florence Marie Bruner on 9/15/1951. She lived in Pittsburgh on Woodstock Avenue. Worked at the counter of a dry cleaners for a period of time then at a drug store cosmetics counter. Her parents, Martha Zapf and Joseph Bruner had 8 surviving children, Helen, Ruth, Mary, Edward, Joseph, Katherine, Dorothy, and Margaret.

I think when first married my parents had an apartment (Location unknown, Belzer Avenue maybe) and then moved into another apartment in Mt. Lebanon (I know where it is, can’t remember the name of the street) (It is a little bit from Gram’s house south on Route 19). We lived there in 1957 until I finished Kindergarten and moved that year to 2443 Willowbrook Road in Upper St. Clair where I started 1st grade at Johnston School. The house was originally a summer cottage and my dad spent years renovating it. Many family dinner pictures were taken with us sitting around the table with Owens Corning Fiberglass Insulation paper decorating the walls.

My dad was born 7/1/1927 died on 8/5/2000. Mom was born 10/31/1927 and died on 6/27/2005. Like his father, my dad also worked in a steel mill. For a period of time he worked in the chemical lab and then as an electrician. He finished his career and retired from Cyclops Specialty Steel in Bridgeville, Pa. He could fix anything and my mom was a terrific baker.



No comments:

Post a Comment